Monday, October 6, 2014

GOTHAM: SURPASSING EXPECTATIONS

Ben_Mackenzie.Jim_Gordon.Gotham.DC_ComicsA television show set in Gotham City, and there isn't going to be Batman? That show is going to suck. That was my initial thought before "Gotham" made it's debut a few weeks ago. Nobody could blame me for thinking that way really. "Birds Of Prey" was similar in there being no appearance of Batman, other than in the opening credits/dialogue. It was a really weak show, and understandably got the axe quick. Who was the one character that everyone was yearning for in "Smallville"? More so than Wonder Woman, it was Batman. And sure "Gotham" has Bruce Wayne, but my original thought process was that he was too young, his story wouldn't be interesting until he is older and sets out on his journey to become Batman. I was also against the casting choice of Ben Mackenzie as James Gordon in the beginning, having only seen him on "The OC", where he was somewhat of a one-trick pony.

Selina_Cat_Kyle.Gotham.Catwoman.DC_ComicsHere we are about to begin the third episode, and so far I was wrong about everything. Mackenzie is showing some range, not an abundance, but more than I saw before. And I am actually curious where he takes the character of Jim Gordon. The background story about Bruce Wayne and how he is coping with the death of his parents is actually interesting to watch so far. Although I do find Alfred to be too much of a hard-ass. I am also looking forward to Selina "Cat" Kyle's story unfolding, who like Bruce, I was thinking was too young to really have a relevant story. And if future characters are as intriguing as this rendition of Oswald Cobblepot becoming The Penguin, I am will continue to forget that Batman isn't here. Unlike some others out there, I don't want the "Gotham" universe to intertwine with the universe of "Arrow" and "The Flash". I want Batman to be in that universe, or at least heavily referenced in it. It would also kind of make no sense for Batman to be 20-30 years younger than Green Arrow and The Flash.

Oswald_Cobblepot.The_Penguin.Gotham.DC_Comics
Of course all of this could change as early as tonight's episode, but it may not. And like I mentioned in an article HERE, television shows are better than movies in how they can change the direction of the show over the season. They did it with "Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." closing the season on a strong not after a weaker start. Guess we will find out each week, same Non-Bat-Time, same Non-Bat-Channel.

For more Comic Book, Movie, TV Show, Video Game, and Wrestling stuff! Head on over to Non-Geeky Nerd and check things out.


No comments:

Post a Comment